[ntp:questions] The smallest possible ntpd, unoptimized

Pierre Dubuc pldubuc at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 4 20:23:13 UTC 2008

I need help setting the configure and build options for ntp-4.2.4p3 on my
old 486SX running NetBSD-3.1.

I know I've pestered you about a year ago about this old piece of junk,
and I even got some offers for free newer hardware. That's beside the
point. I'd like to make this work. Right now, I'm stuck running ntpdate
from a cron job to sync the clock. And as I've read here so many times,
"ntpdate is deprecated". ;-)

My goal is to produce the smallest program object to fit in the machine's
limited memory, but I've determined that it cannot be compiled using the
cc -O2 parameter. I've been told elsewhere, and can confirm, that this
level of optimization on a 486SX will attempt to use the FPU's sqrt
functions, which I obviously don't have (SX doesn't have an FPU; DX does).
Building ntpd with -O2, which seems to be the build's default
optimization, makes ntpd croak on my box.

Is there a configuration switch that determines the compiler optimization?

I don't need any refclocks, this box will poll time from my main server.
So I can probably use ./configure --disable-all-clocks --disable-debug as
a starting point. Any other tips?

I'm a newbie to BSD, cc, linking, makefiles, configuring and building my
own software, so please bear with me. I've looked at the help text for
./configure, but I've seen no options that seem to drive the -O parameter
for the cc commands the build will be running.

Thanks for any help.

--
Pierre Dubuc
pldubuc at yahoo.ca