[ntp:questions] Taming statistics files (was: Re: ntp documentation)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 07:49:24 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> filegen creates a new file daily or weekly or monthly. . . .
> These files can eat many megabytes of disk space if you let them.  If
> you're not prepared to analyze and summarize all the data, do
> yourself a favor and skip creating the files.  The tools to do so are
> included in the ntpd distribution but you do have to find them, and
> use them and then clean up the obsolete files. . . .

I wrote a small utility I have found very handy on my systems:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html#TrimTree

It allows you to delete files matching a wildcard mask which are more than
a certain number of days old, so you could, for example, keep just a
week's worth of loopstats by running a nightly command:

  trimtree   7   C:\Tools\NTP\etc\   loopstats.2*

It's helped a few other folk as well.

Cheers,
David