[ntp:questions] ntp documentation

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Sat Jan 5 08:34:25 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Unruh wrote:
>>> Where is there ntp documentation? For example I wanted to have ntp write
>>> out the statistics  on its peers etc. I looked everywhere-- man page of
>>> ntp, ntp.conf, etc, and finally discovered by looking at the source that
>>> there seem to be a huge bunch of undocumented options.
>>> Or are they documented somewhere in that filing cabinette down some broken
>>> steps in a flooded basement, behind a door labeled "Beware of Tigers"
>>>

>> You'll find the secret staircase at ntp.org.  The humidity may be a
>> little high in the basement but it's not actually wet.  ;-)
>
>> This snippet from my ntp.conf might help:
>
>> logfile /var/ntp/ntp.log
>> statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
>> statistics peerstats clockstats
>> filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
>> filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
>
> But where did you find those options? for example I finally did
> statistics peerstats
> and the system set up a daily and total couple of files in /var/log/ntp (
> my statsdir)
> What does filegen do and mean? Do I need it? I should have some docs where
> I can easily find that. Does it exist?

Those are explained on the "Monitoring Options" page, here:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html

You might try using the site map for the docs.  It was recently added (I
think) and is a lot of help.
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/sitemap.html

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.      timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php