[ntp:questions] quirky adjtimex behaviour

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Sat Jan 5 11:04:32 UTC 2008

Hi Dean.

Dean S. Messing wrote:
>> Can I however suggest that you first try and eliminate CPU frequency
>> scaling as a cause of the symptoms you're seeing: use cpufreq-set -g to
>> select a policy that results in a constant CPU frequency and then check
>> if this changes the behaviour (or renders it more predictable).
> analyzing CPU 0:
>   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

OK, this eliminates CPU frequency scaling as the cause of your problem.

Sorry to have sent you off on a tangent; from recent experience this
seemed like a promising low-hanhing fruit (but it turned out not to be).

> analyzing CPU 1:
>   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
> analyzing CPU 2:
>   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
> analyzing CPU 3:
>   no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
> If you or others wouldn't mind reading my whole original post (it's
> not _that_ long :-) maybe some other ideas might occur.  Thanks.

Sorry, I haven't a clue. Also note that I don't have any experience with
SMP at all (let alone timekeeping on SMP machines). I'm very interested
in this subject, but I've never been able to justify the hardware cost
just so that I could play around with this.

Cheers, Jan