[ntp:questions] Seeking "net time" Response without Active Directory

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:35:14 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 10:43 pm, ma... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> Installing ntpd solves these problems.

My assumption is that the configuration of the punchclock machine
cannot be altered beyond configuring a "NET TIME" source. This is very
common for "appliance" system, whether they are based on Windows or
some other OS.

We used to have a nuynber of Fiery print controllers that were
actually Windows 2000 machines, but they could not be modified by
installing additional software or even patches. Only signed
executables will run on them.

Similaryly, our SAN cluster nodes all run a variant of FreeBSD on Xeon
processors, but again, only signed code will run unless you want to
replace the entire software stack. Vendors have to do that to ease
support, especially for something that needs to be highly reliable
like a SAN or highly audited like a time clock.

--
RPM