[ntp:questions] Distribution security

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Jan 6 22:39:46 UTC 2008

>>> In article <4780a1e7$0$29263$ba620e4c at news.skynet.be>, Jan Ceuleers <janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be> writes:

Jan> I really hate being sent from left to right in search of
Jan> documentation. This includes stub man pages pointing me at html or info
Jan> pages. Ideally I'd want to be able to select the documentation format
Jan> on a system I'm responsible for myself (i.e. as a policy decision on my
Jan> end).

What you describe is my goal.

One obvious way progress toward this goal will be greatly improved will be
for more people and institutions to join the NTP Forum.

Please do what you can to get members to sign up for the forum - if you need
more information to help make the decision please let me know.  And if you
decide not to join, it would also help to let me know why.  Email is
probably the best way to do these things.

Jan> This issue also goes beyond the mere format of the documentation, even
Jan> in case I am forced to accept multiple document formats. Searching the
Jan> documentation installed on a system gets more difficult in this
Jan> case. For example, the apropos tool won't search anything but man
Jan> pages.

One of the items on the TODO queue for support.ntp.org is to have searchable
versions of each released version of NTP on the site.

As for your "apropos won't search anything but man pages" complaint, the
AutoGen documentation effort would have the same content appear in various
formats, so at least for the "common" documentation (ie, whatever is not
maintained by Dave), the content of the ntpd or ntp.conf documentation (for
example) would be the same on the html, man, info, etc. pages.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!