[ntp:questions] Lep seconds

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Jan 7 09:46:34 UTC 2008

Dave,

David L. Mills wrote:
> Martin,
>
> In the current development code when the kernel does not implement a
> leap function, the clock is stepped "near" the leap epoch. Here, "near
> means within one second early or late and yes, this can be considered
> pinball behavior. This should probably be an option.

I've already seen that change, and I'm going to do some tests with the new
function.

Shortly before the latest leap second I had added some code to handle the
leap second correctly under Windows. This is in the Windows-only portion of
the code and I'm afraid this interferes now with your latest changes.

BTW, as already mentioned in one of my other posts: wouldn't it be a good
idea to generate a log entry which tells from which upstream source a leap
second announcement has been received?

We have seen several times in the past that ntpd thought it had to introduce
a leap second because some bad guy had passed a faulty leap second
announcement. Knowing the source of the announcement would help to identify
the original source of the announcement.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren