[ntp:questions] windows 2003 server sp 1 & ntp

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jan 7 13:27:29 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Jan 3, 9:09 am, ma... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
>
>> Windows time is a kludge. Just install NTP on the system and be done.
>> Forget about registry hacks.
>
> Danny, you always bash w32time without providing any explanation.
> w32time is better than most people need, and is already included.
> Adding ntpd to the mix and learning how to configure, monitor, and
> patch it is NOT the best solution for most Windows users.

This has been discussed here so many times It's rarely worth repeating.
Windows (w32time) is a sntp client at best, steps the clock and does not
discipline it. The version introduced with Windows 2003 SP1 we know a
lot less about. However, we do know that the publicly available server
that Microsoft makes available (something like
time.windows.microsoft.com, I forget the exact address) is such a bad
provider of NTP packets that Dave has found it useful as a source of
poor-quality NTP packets to debug his algorithms.

Note that the version available for W2003 is not available for XP or
other O/S versions (we don't know about Windows Vista). If all you need
is approximate time then stay with w32time. We don't need more clients
asking for time unnecessarily.

> And it is not a kludge anymore:
> http://blog.malayter.com/2006/05/windows-2003-sp1-has-real-ntp-service.html
>
>> Note that if this is a domain controller you need to be careful in
>> setting up the account that is used by ntpd.
>
> Again, antoher reason to use Windows Time Service, which is easier to
> configure than ntpd, and more than adequate for almost all
> applications.

It's your choice.

Danny