[ntp:questions] NTP Dictionary

Greg Dowd GDowd at symmetricom.com
Mon Jan 7 17:00:40 UTC 2008

Was that last week?  Is it sufficient to quote the 70 page Autokey draft
which we've all been reviewing?  Otherwise, I'll get mean and start
quoting "das buch" whose index shows no less than 5 references to
proventic and none to provenentic.

A client can claim authentic to dependent applications only if all
   servers on the path to the primary servers are bone-fide authentic.
   In order to emphasize this requirement, in this report the notion of
   "authentic" is replaced by "proventic", a noun new to English and
   derived from provenance, as in the provenance of a painting.  Having
   abused the language this far, the suffixes fixable to the various
   noun and verb derivatives of authentic will be adopted for proventic
   as well.  In NTP each server authenticates the next lower stratum
   servers and proventicates (authenticates by induction) the lowest
   stratum (primary) servers.  Serious computer linguists would
   correctly interpret the proventic relation as the transitive closure
   of the authentic relation.

Greg Dowd
gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
Symmetricom, Inc.
www.symmetricom.com
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
Einstein