[ntp:questions] Autokey and Dynamic IPs

Steve throindarts at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 23:52:16 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am using NTP 4.2.0 and am planning to use Autokey (IFF) between a
distributed client base (a large population) and some centralized
servers. However my client base will use DHCP and therefore may change
their IP.

What is expected to happen when client IP changes while running NTP
Autokey? I am concerned that it will lose sync because of the IPs used
in the session keys.

What is the recommendation on how to deal with DHCP when using
autokey? Can I just restart the daemon on the client to handle this
case and re-obtain autokey'd sync?

Is there anything the server needs to do when the IP changes on the
client in order to let that client resynch with its new IP? I hope the
server is not effected by this.

thanks!
Steve