[ntp:questions] ntpd -n?

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Tue Jan 15 14:10:02 UTC 2008

I'm wondering about the function/purpose of the "-n" option
for ntpd. I've found it in some Linux ntpd startup scripts
and I'm wondering if it is really intended to be there.

My recollection is that both "-n" and "-N" first appeared
in the late runup to 4.1 and that "-n [prio]" originally set
the priority of ntpd. I also recall that this was later changed
to "-N [prio]" and then just "-N", but my recollection is
a little fuzzy.

"-n" is now documented as "Don't fork". I'm not sure I know
exactly what that means, but more importantly, I'm wondering
if the startup scripts that are using it are actually intending
to raise the priority of ntpd and should now be using "-N".

-Tom