[ntp:questions] ntp documentation

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Thu Jan 17 08:06:58 UTC 2008

Pat Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:51:35 -0800, Dennis Hilberg, Jr. wrote:
>> The pool score/offset graphs are explained at the bottom of your server's
>> score page where it says "What do the graphs mean?"
>
> Thanks, but I don't understand what it means. Look at my server's graphs,
> there is tons of blue above the Y axis. The score doesn't seem to indicate
> any downtime, and the server is up and the ISP connection is there.
> (I could believe that the ISP's latency is flakey, but that's why I'm
> asking).
>
> I've also never seen the offset graph be so radical with large swings.
> What could explain that?
>
> Thanks
> pat

Well red is the most severe, and indicates that your server was unavailable
for whatever reason (or has an offset of several seconds), which is why
there is missing data on the "Offset history" graph.

Blue is the least severe, and typically means your server has an offset of
~100ms or so.  Points are deducted based on how far off your server is.
Less than 100ms, no deductions.  Server unavailable or off by several
seconds, the most deductions.

If you view the CSV log, it's clear your server was "available", but was
reporting a time that was off quite a bit by ntp standards.  The large
offset swings could indicate that your connection was heavily loaded during
that time frame.

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.     \  timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  \  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php