[ntp:questions] Getting SNTP to accept large corrections

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Jan 17 16:03:34 UTC 2008

"Christopher Nelson" <cnelson at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:09daacd1-d1fa-440c-bb1d-b8d745714490 at v46g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...
[...]
> It's an embedded system.  The one I manufacture today can have today
> (or this year) in it but I'll never touch it again to change the
> initial time setting.  One thought I had was periodically write the
> time to a file and use that file to initialize the clock at startup
> before using NTP.

The NTP window is 68 years, IIRC. Put 2042-01-01 in it (just less
than 34 years in the future), and document somewhere that they may
stop working correctly after 2076. I will be _quite_ impressed if
by 2076 they can produce the right electricity and ethernet to tell
the difference.

NTP and the Pool may still exist.

Groetjes,
Maarten Witlink