[ntp:questions] why is my pool server's offset so bad

Pat Farrell fishytv at pfarrell.com
Sun Jan 20 00:54:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:08:52 -0800, Dennis Hilberg, Jr. wrote:
> When did you first notice the poor behavior?  Is there some change you made
> about that time that could be the cause?

For sure. It used to be Mandriva 2006.
And it got used as a spam generator. Since there are no security
patches for old Mandriva systems, I decided this was a good excuse to
switch to Debian Etch.

The problems started when I first started live use of Debian.

> Is the connection heavily loaded?  I did a 30-packet ping on your
> connection, and while there was no packet loss, your ping times ranged
> anywhere from 89ms to 108ms.

No, the connection is nearly unloaded. Its a cable modem, so you never can
tell, but there is nearly zero traffic on it.

Its got a few vanity domains, DNS, mailserver, and other light stuff,
which is why I figured it would be a good pool server.

> What does 'ntpq -p' and 'ntpq -crv' show?

I can't even find 'ntpd' so I'll have to look for the .deb repository for
those utilities.

thanks
pat