[ntp:questions] why is my pool server's offset so bad

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jan 20 13:06:39 UTC 2008

In article <9aja65-ckd.ln1 at tools.pfarrell.com>,
Pat Farrell <fishytv at pfarrell.com> wrote:

> I switched from openntpd to just ntpd

openntpd was, and as far as I can tell, given that I don't seem to be
able to find a changelog file, still an SNTP implementation, not an NTP one.
I think it may be less sophisticated than the chrony in another thread.

One of its "selling points" is that it doesn't have the complexity that
arises from a proper implementation of NTP (the other is that they have
issues with the wording of the ntpd licence, particularly with respect to
commercial use, even though the actuality is that such use is allowed).
Specifically, it is stated to be intended for use by people who don't
have particularly demanding time synchronisation requirements.

I don't think its authors normally respond in this newsgroup, although
they may have monitored it in the past.

> Mostly to get the ntpq utility.

ntpq accesses information that only an NTP server maintains, so openntpd
wouldn't have one.

> *nist.netservice .ACTS.           1 u   13   64   37   42.558   42.964   7.996

Generally you want to wait until the 37 has become 377 and stayed that way
for some time, before trying to evaluate time quality; it is a bit map of which
of the last 8 polls returned a result.