[ntp:questions] leapyear bug in gpsd

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Mon Jan 21 10:24:49 UTC 2008

Johan Swenker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I found why my gps receiver stopped working last newyears eve.
>
> Apparently gpsd has a leapyear bug (repaired on january 1st). Thus it
> reported a january 21 while it still was january 20. Which was discarded
> by ntp. After compiling the new version of gpsd, my PC once again has
> submillisecond accuracy ;)
>
> The PC was running Debian stable, with gpsd from the Debian repositories.
> The PC is still running Debian stable, but with a self compiled version of
> gpsd. In the mean time I did inform the Debian maintainer by mail.
>
> Thus, if you use gpsd to feed ntpd with the correct time, either wait
> untill february 29, or find yourself a better gpsd.
>
> Regards, Johan Swenker

Yep, I heard about this through the gpsd mailing list,
gpsd-users at lists.berlios.de .  It was reported on Jan 1, and gpsd 2.36 was
released as an emergency fix.  So upgrade to gpsd 2.36, if you haven't already.

You can view the gpsd mailing list archives to read the emails on it:
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/gpsd-users/

Subject: Garmin 18LVC Weirdness

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.     \  timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  \  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php