[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 21 22:26:00 UTC 2008

In article <eI8lj.17461$yQ1.5617 at edtnps89>,
Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> No, the offset is the value reported in loopstats.

Same thing.  If chrony is reporting the same measurements, neither set of
measurements is particularly valid.  You need to measure the actual
offsets, using something that has a repeatability a couple of orders
of magnitude better.  Certainly for ntpd, offset should be much larger
than the error, when locked.  Is the server running ntpd?

Anyway, as I said, arguing by proxy is difficult and I'm rather hoping that
Dave Mills will take over.  Certainly it is Dave Mills you have to
convince if ntpd is going to change.