[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jan 22 03:53:03 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> All I say is that the experiments I have carried out show that ntp is slow
> to converge if it starts of badly, and leaves the offset scatter larger
> than chrony does. It does have a smaller scatter in the rate.

But you are using an extremely old version of ntp and things have
radically changed since that version was released. Try rerunning you
experiments with ntp 4.2.4 and see what you get then. You also need to
fix your calculations if you are going to get good results as I
mentioned in a previous message.

Danny