[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Jan 22 19:55:28 UTC 2008

Hey Danny!

>>> In article <2Fqlj.12866$vp3.5778 at edtnps90>, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> writes:

Unruh> Unfortunately I cannot run both ntp and chrony on the same system at
Unruh> the same time.

Bill,

Exactly why can you not run ntpd and chrony on the same system at the same
time?

I want the ability to run multiple instances of ntpd where at most 1
instance of ntpd is actually controlling the clock, specifically to make it
easy to (more quickly) analyze the performance/behavior of different
configurations of ntpd.  I understand that the boat is rocking while this is
going on, but I suspect this capability would be a useful one in at least
some cases.