[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jan 23 05:06:56 UTC 2008

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Hey Danny!

> Unruh> Unfortunately I cannot run both ntp and chrony on the same system at
> Unruh> the same time.
>
> Bill,
>
> Exactly why can you not run ntpd and chrony on the same system at the same
> time?

Harlan, really. You *cannot* have two different mechanisms/applications
to discipline the clock at the same time. I invite you to try. You have
access to my code so you can do this easily.

> I want the ability to run multiple instances of ntpd where at most 1
> instance of ntpd is actually controlling the clock, specifically to make it
> easy to (more quickly) analyze the performance/behavior of different
> configurations of ntpd.  I understand that the boat is rocking while this is
> going on, but I suspect this capability would be a useful one in at least
> some cases.

I don't see the benefit of doing this with two separate instances. It's
easier and simpler to just add the other servers into the one instance
and specify noselect.

Danny