[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 24 19:33:12 UTC 2008

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

>> They have no idea unless I tell them.  And if it actually disciplines the
>> clock better, then they would be idiots if they took that attitude. Of
>> course convincing that it actually does discipline it better might be the
>> challenge.
>>

>The quality of the packets should be what counts here rather than the
>specific implementation and I have seen nothing here that indicates that
>chrony is not a good candidate for the pool. The last discussion on
>openntp indicated that there were many issues with it but we don't know
>what has changed since then. For the pool, being able to query the
>server is important to review the quality of each packet but to my
>knowledge only ntpd has implemented the query capability. That should
>not stop an implementation being a good candidate for the pool.

Yes, I guess this is a counterexample to my claim that they could not tell
the difference. ntpq -p chrony.machine would not give any response. It would
probably not be hard to include that functionality into chrony, since it is
already there --chronyc is the control portion and it has extensive
reporting capability--but it is not ntpq.