[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Jan 25 08:37:48 UTC 2008

David L. Mills wrote:

> 5. This flap about the speed of convergence has become silly. Most of us
> are less concerned about squeezing to the low microseconds in four

Have you done the market surveys to confirm this?  I don't have the
resources or time to do that, but my impression from the sort of
questions that appear on this newsgroup is that most IT managers and
turnkey system developers who want better than 100ms clock accuracy want
one or both of:

- fast convergence (small compared with overall bootup time) - a
   a common case, these days, is that they are not allowed to process
   financial transactions until convergence is complete;

- strict monotonicity.

It may well be that most users don't need better than 100ms, but those
users don't care about long term stability, and their long term may be
an 8 hour shift.

(My interest in NTP is more theoretical, as I work in an industry sector
that, whilst it deals with timestamped data, those timestamps are often
a minute or two out (and are added by equipment that is out of our
control), but I do notice the sorts of questions that keep coming up
time and time again.)