[ntp:questions] Q: Disabling "11 minute mode"

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Fri Jan 25 12:27:12 UTC 2008

Hello Dean,

 On Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 19:02:23 +0000, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Is it possible to disable "11 minute mode" from "ntp.conf"?

No. You have to tweak the kernel. If you have the PPSkit:

| $ echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/time/rtc_update

Otherwise you have to patch time.c in the kernel. Dead easy, just a
matter of commenting out a line or two. I'm so patching all my kernels,
reading and writing the RTC exclusively with hwclock 2.31, and am
getting a far better accuracy.

The main purpose of an RTC is to initialise the system time at powerup,
isn't it? Most people startup in the morning at around half a second of
the true time, and later ntpd has to step this to UTC. I routinely
startup at some low milliseconds of the true time, offset quickly
slewed. My last step event was years ago.

Serge.