[ntp:questions] Q: Disabling "11 minute mode"

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Jan 25 20:45:18 UTC 2008

Serge Bets wrote:
:  On Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 23:13:22 +0000, Dean S. Messing wrote:
:
: > do "adjtimex -p" and look at the "status:" value. If it's odd,
: > (LSB==1) then your kernel is in "11 minute mode".
:
: Not exactly: bit #0 set means your kernel is in PLL mode. That's bit #6
: unset that means eleven-minutes mode. The kernel does not always enter
: in both modes together.

Correct.  Thanks for correcting this bit of mis-information.  I was
mis-remembering the fact that by disabling PLL mode (with the ntp
"disable kernel" directive, I think) _and_ setting status bit #6,
I could keep the kernel out of "11 minute mode".  That was done a
couple of years ago on another machine and I was confusing the two
things.

Dean