[ntp:questions] Book Publishers (Was: NTP vs chrony comparison)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 16:24:53 UTC 2008

Jason Rabel wrote:
>>Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>>Computer Network Time Synchronization: The Network Time Protocol by
>>>David L. Mills (Hardcover - Mar 24, 2006)
>>>
>>>Available from Amazon.com.   You may be able to find a copy at a
>>>University Book store.  Be prepared for "Sticker Shock".  It ain't
>>>cheap!  Publishing in small quantities is EXPENSIVE!!!  It's different
>>>when you can amortize your setup costs over 50,000 copies!
>>>
>>>"Das Buch" is unlikely to become a best seller!
>>
>>Perhaps we could have a Lulu version?  They can manage small quantities
>>very effectively.  See:
>>
>> http://www.lulu.com
>>
>>I'd love to see the book, but can't afford those Amazon prices.....
>>
>>Cheers,
>>David
>

> Or even CafePress has a very reasonable book printing prices.

Printing is relatively cheap.  Typesetting is generally more expensive,
especially when you have to do equations, greek letters, graphs, etc.
Once the plates are made and installed on the press you are talking
about the price of electricity, paper and ink.  The setup costs are huge
compared to the actual cost of paper, ink, and electricity.

I know whereof I speak.  My wife has published "fan fiction" (StarTrek
and Beauty and the Beast (TV Show) under a "pen name")) and I put up the
"working capital".  Those small press runs are a real killer!