[ntp:questions] NTP daemon - fixed offset against real time

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Sat Jan 26 18:03:12 UTC 2008

msmucr at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i would like to ask you for help or ideas with one ntp related task.
> I need to setup one ntp server to serve its sntp clients
> with time, which is specific amount of time (several seconds) in
> advance against correct real time taken from another ntp server in
> network. I did some search in documentation from both ntpd and
> openntpd, but i didn't find any configuraition option related to this.
> I need this quirky thing due to time syncing of several broadcast
> graphics servers which also generates clocks to TV picture and it is
> necessary to compensate delay caused by MPEG coding and transmission
> of TV signal.

You can do this with the 'fudge' command with the 'time1' option.  The docs
say it's a "Reference Clock Command," but I've used it successfully with
regular internet servers before to fix the small time offset due to my ntp
server's asymmetric connection.

See: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/clockopt.html#cmd

> Thanks a lot
>
> Michal Smucr

Dennis

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.     \  timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  \  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php