[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jan 26 21:22:45 UTC 2008

Petru,

The default 900-s stepout interval was originally determined by the time
an old Spectracom WWVB receiver took to regain synchronization after a
leapsecond and should probably be reduced. It can of course be tinkere.

During the initial training period the time is not disciplined other
than to amortize the initial offset. The bookeeping to do that and
preserve an accurate frequency measuremen got too tedious and fragile.
So, at the end of the training period the offset that built up during
the interval is amortized. I didn't think this was much of a problem,
since in practice the training is done only once.

Dave