[ntp:questions] very slow convergence of ntp to correct time.

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jan 28 21:16:21 UTC 2008

Steve,

You might have missed my message about rate control on the hackers list.
The average headway for all packets, including those in a burst is
strictly controlled at 16 s. So, 1 packet in a "burst" at 16 s, 2 at 32
s, 4 at 64 and 8 at 128 s and higher. The default average headway can be
set by a configuration command.

The scheme is specifically designed for long, noisy Internet paths and
large poll intervals where the clock filter is most effective and also
for cases involving dialup links with highly variable call setup delays.
The fact that it trounces ARP caches is a secondary benefit.

ICMP pings will not work to our campus machines from outside. ICMP
request messages are dropped by the ingress router.

Dave