[ntp:questions] very slow convergence of ntp to correct time.

Eric nospam-01 at jensenresearch.com
Mon Jan 28 22:41:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:09:11 +0000, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote
for the entire planet to see:
<snip>

>However, you give me an idea. Why not shut down the burst when the clock
>filter delivers the first sample? Gotta think about that.
>
>Dave

Hi Dave -

I'm pleased to know I've provoked some new thoughts.  If I understand your
post, burst mode was intended to get enough (lousy) samples into and
through the clock filters to allow for initial sync.  Once the pipeline is
loaded no more "extra" polls are needed.

But the rest of this sub-thread was about poll intervals that get so large
that the intervening equipment forgets about the flow and always, from then
on, gives lousy performance on the one and only poll in that interval.

I guess we could kill two birds with one stone and shut down burst as you
suggest, until the interval gets longer, when it could make a reappearance,
perhaps as only a pair of packets.

- Eric