[ntp:questions] why is my pool server's offset so bad

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 04:40:17 UTC 2008

Pat Farrell wrote:
> Well, its gotten bad again. I had it working well for a few days.
> But lately, the offsets are diving down. See
> http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/70.184.242.241
>
> Clearly something is wrong.
>
> Thanks
> pat

Sorry about that.  How about supplying some USEFUL information
about your server!  Knowing what O/S you are running on which hardware
platform, what version of ntpd you are running, what reference clock or
upstream servers you are using, etc, etc, MIGHT help someone trouble
shoot the problem!!!

It might be helpful to start with the ntpq -p "banner".

It has been my experience that ntpd, when properly configured with good
servers and, optionally, a good ref clock, keeps time very well indeed.