[ntp:questions] First attempt GPSD/PPS ->NTP time server

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Jan 31 07:43:30 UTC 2008

>My Garmin was sending to much data, sending a NMEA sentence once per
>second. So I put '$PGRMO,,4<CR><LF>' in a file and send it to the Garmin.
>Now it's at six lines per second; GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGSA and three GPGSV
>lines (plus one PGRMT per minute).

When I setup a GPS receiver, I try to remember to write down the recipe.
(and enough notes to remind me what/why)
Then I can cut-paste from one window looking at my notes to
another shell window.

I've had reasonable luck with things like:
  stty --file=/dev/ttyUSB1 4800
  cat /dev/ttyUSB1  # to see what it's sending

  #  \$PSRF103,0,0,0,1*24\r\n      Turn off GGA
  echo -e -n "\$PSRF103,0,0,0,1*24\r\n"  > /dev/ttyUSB1

That particular unit needs a valid checksum on commands
so the *24 is required.

We should collect this stuff on the wiki.