[ntp:questions] ignoring leap second announcements

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 14:16:29 UTC 2008

Nero Imhard wrote:
> What would be the proper way to let ntpd ignore leap second
> announcements from external sources, and only trust the
> leapsecond information in ntpkey_leap and/or announcements
> from selected refclocks?
>
> My documentation search skills seem to fall short in this area.

Your best bet, unless you are able and willing to modify the NTP source
code, is to avoid using external servers that incorrectly announce leap
seconds.

If you are able and willing to modify the NTP source code, it should be
possible to add "ENABLE LEAP SECOND" and "DISABLE LEAP SECOND".  You
would "ENABLE" when a leap second was expected and "DISABLE" at all
other times.  I believe that upcoming leap seconds are announced several
months in advance so it should not be to much of a problem to ENABLE on
the proper day and DISABLE after the deed is done.