[ntp:questions] Utility to measure time drift

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Wed Jul 2 19:52:53 UTC 2008

"jkvbe" <jkvbeNOSPAM at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:g4ggcn$5gj$1 at aioe.org...

> I'm looking for a utility like clockdiff(8)  to measure the time
> delta between different machines. The utility itself should run on
> Windows, but the machines under investigation are running Linux.

The usual approach is to set up a machine that has all the machines
under scrutiny as servers in its NTP configuration, possibly all
marked noselect - I'm not sure about that bit.

Ntpq -p will then tell you the offset to them all, relative to a
single base (the monitoring server's own notion of time).

Note that this is subject to all the vagaries of normal NTP life.
If the DSL connection to one server is heavily overloaded, the
offset will reflect that.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink