[ntp:questions] Ruh, roh. Leap Second?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 3 15:24:18 UTC 2008

Peter,

Peter Laws wrote:

>> All are running RHEL 4 or 5 and are reasonably current on patches.  None
>> use anything but the NTP version distributed with RHEL.
>
> Looks like my brand new, not-yet-in-service DNS/DHCP appliances recorded
> the leap second as well, so that effectively eliminates RHEL, since none
> of the appliances talk to anyone but themselves and those same three
> clocks.

That's also my conclusion.

> Since none of y'all got leaped GPS is probably not the culprit ...

The GPS satellites have not announced a leap second for the end of June, so
either (at least) one of the GPS receivers seems to have a firmware bug, or
at least one of your timeservers can be configured to insert a leap second
at a predefined date, and has been configured in a wrong way.

> So, I
> guess I need at least update the other TymServ 2100 to the last version of
> it's code and then to determine what that unknown GPS clock is and upgrade
> it if I can.
>
> Nobody else got leaped the other day?  *No* one??

At least I haven't heard about any other wrong leap second event.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren