[ntp:questions] [OT] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1, M3.5.0/01:00:00, M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Jul 3 20:48:10 UTC 2008

Rohit wrote:
> I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But

This is off topic.

Do you mean EcmaScript + old Netscape DOM, or do you mean Java.  I'm
pretty certain that the former cannot provide the necessary information
without calling out to native objects, and I'm not sure that latter can.

> i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
> GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting

Whether you can even do this, and if so whether the result will be valid
beyond the Autumn, depends on your operating system and country.

> on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
> dates from script  gives correct  offset including day light saving
> time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
> correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
> saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
> string, Is there  a way to get this from java script.

I'm having difficulty thinking of a real world reason why you would want
to do this.  All the uses I can think of involve shelling out.

Note that this format is a legacy format, and the average Linux system
(you posted from Linux) has a richer description of the rules.