[ntp:questions] Generating keys for ntpdc control

Bob bobsjunkmail at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 4 02:58:48 UTC 2008

"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:slrng6qrhj.tjt.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...
> On 2008-07-03, Bob <bobsjunkmail at bellsouth.net> wrote:

<chop>

> It should have looked like:
>
> ntpdc> restrict 192.168.3.3 255.255.255.255 noserve
> Keyid: 678
> MD5 Password:
> ***Permission denied
> ntpdc>

There's not really a space in the file name. Type in Dos / Windoze is
similar in function to cat in *nix.. Basically, I did a cat ntp.keys. I've
got something called filemon that shows file system activity. I see ntp.keys
being read by ntpd upon restart. I never see ntpdc touch the ntp.keys file -
not sure if it's supposed to. Also, it appears from your example, which I
assume is from BSD / Linux / Mac, that ntpdc is supposed to prompt for a
password. The windows version says nothing after you respond to Keyid. If
figured you have to enter a password (key contents?) because it does say
"Invalid password" if you press enter at the flashing cursor after Keyid.

Here's the contents of my ntp.conf except for comments, and server addresses
other than my local GPS / OCXO clock - no 1pps doesn't work under windows.

Thanks for your help with this.

keys "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.keys"
enable auth
trustedkey 1 2 42 255
requestkey 1 2 255
controlkey 42
driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
server 127.127.1.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 10
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 10
 server 10.33.90.50 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
 server
 server
 server
 server