[ntp:questions] Where is the log file?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 4 03:32:18 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>
>> This has nothing to do with Vista. This has to do with OpenSSL. It needs
>> to create a seed file called .rnd. I forget where it puts it but I did
>> document this behavior in the winnt.html file.
>
> Although the error message isn't about a function of Vista, it is a
> result of using Vista, because the default location of the file is
> somewhere that Vista considers a protected location.

No, that's not about using Vista. It doesn't matter what the Operating
System is, if that O/S does not allow ntpd to write to any specific
directory. It's an O/S permissions thing and you need to configure both
ntpd and the O/S to allow ntpd to use a writeable directory into which
you can place this file.

Danny