[ntp:questions] Generating keys for ntpdc control

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Jul 4 12:13:04 UTC 2008

Bob,

I've just done some quick tests, and it worked for me.

Installed the foehr-v2 version (should be the same you are using) on W2k
with the following config files:

ntp.conf:
---<snip>--------------------------------------
driftfile "E:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
server gateway iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6
keys "E:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.key"
trustedkey 5 6
requestkey 5
controlkey 5
---<snip>--------------------------------------

ntp.key:
---<snip>--------------------------------------
6 M key1
5 M key2
---<snip>--------------------------------------

Then I tried at the ntpdc prompt:
ntpdc> addserver pc-martin iburst
Keyid: 5
(here should be a prompt for the MD5 password, where I entered "key2")
done!

So the command was successful unless I mis-typed and corrected the MD5
password. After this ntpq -p listed the new server, so everything is fine.

Maybe you can try to use a simple MD5 key like me, and see if it works?

BTW, running the debug version of ntpdc did pop up the debugger, with an
"assertion failed" message. When I ignored that failed assertion the "MD5
password: " prompt was displayed.

Strange, I'll have a closer look at this later.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren