[ntp:questions] Interface IP address Change.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 4 16:08:47 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Kiran Shirol wrote:
>> In one of my setups with just one interface I had configured ntp server.
>> Everything works fine till here. Now I change the IP address of the
>> interface
>
> Interface addresses aren't supposed to change, not just for ntp.  You
> will probably also confuse named.

No, named has handled that for a very long time.

>> My question is How can I make NTP automatically detect this change and
>> rebind
>> upon the change in the IP address of the interface ?
>
> I believe some work has been done on working round broken ISPs who
> deliberately, or otherwise, misoperate DHCP.  I'm not sure what state it
> is in, but you should certainly be using the very latest release
> version, if not a development version.

Well operated ISP's and companies will change your IP address from time
to time. Even my office network will change my IP address on my laptop
even though it will renew my existing address if it's available.

> You are, of course, welcome to submit a patch to the source code.

Since this is already fixed there's nothing to do.

Danny