[ntp:questions] Interface IP address Change.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 4 16:35:01 UTC 2008

arne_woerner at yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jun 30, 4:18 am, "kiran shirol" <kiran.shi... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Instead of using a polling approach, would it not be better we use a
>> notification model, where in whenever there
>>
> in my own ntp client implementation i "re-bind" to the server each
> time i want to ask for his time.
>
> i could think of an implementation that mixes both approaches
> in case of a certain errno after a sendto() call, we re-bind, else we
> remember that socket...

Yes, we should consider whether or not we should rescan the interfaces
when we get these kinds of errors so that ntpd can recover from a change
in IP address. That's certainly a good idea. We'd need to have a check
so that we don't rescan too frequently otherwise we'd be spending all of
our time rescanning.

Danny