[ntp:questions] Public remote RNG server service on the net

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 19:12:37 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Adem24 wrote:
>> Is there any public remote RNG server running on the Internet?
>> By this I mean a public service similar to the Network Time Protocol (NTP).
>>
>> It should generate for example 50 random numbers in the
>> range 0 to 255 in string format in intervals of a minute,

Random number generators typically generate values between 0 and 1.0.
You would have to multiply the values by 255 to get the range you want.
  I never heard of a server offering such a service; typically it is a
function called "rand", "rnd" or something similar that you incorporate
in the software that needs the random values.  The values are actually
pseudo random numbers since the function generates a sequence of random
numbers based on a starting "seed".  The same seed will give you the
same sequence of random numbers every time.

If your computer has Fortran or C installed, you should have everything
you need.  I think PL/1 probably has one also.