[ntp:questions] Interface IP address Change.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Jul 4 21:02:50 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:

>> Interface addresses aren't supposed to change, not just for ntp.  You
>> will probably also confuse named.
>>

> No, named has handled that for a very long time.

The named I have had had for less than a very long time won't even
detect an interface going from down to up with the same address until
the next time it scans for new interfaces.  I sometimes have to do rndc
reload to get connectivity back.

> Well operated ISP's and companies will change your IP address from time
> to time. Even my office network will change my IP address on my laptop
> even though it will renew my existing address if it's available.

They should not, because a client that is up should renew the lease long
before it expires.  Even if the machine is offline, leases should be set
  long enough to cover most normal offline time.