[ntp:questions] Unauthorized remote server configuration

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sun Jul 6 12:45:25 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-06, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> In any case, as I understand it, enabling authentication allows you to
> be used by a server by broken W32Times,

Setting nopeer does not "disable peering"; nopeer _blocks_ peering
attempts from the specified host/subnet.

> but disabling peering requires that you configure the W32Times to send
> the correct association type.

Even if your assertion is correct, it is not the operator's problem
unless their organization owns both the affected server and the W32time
clients.

Would someone with access to both w32time and an ntpd actually check to
see if 'nopeer' on the server blocks polls from w32time?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>