[ntp:questions] How to get uclibc style timezone string (e.g GMT+0IST-1, M3.5.0/01:00:00, M10.5.0/02:00:00) from javascript

Rohit will.u.tellmemore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 06:47:25 UTC 2008

On Jul 5, 12:11 am, ma... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
> Rohit wrote:
> > I am trying to get client machine's timezone from my java script . But
> > i have no idea how would i be able to get it in uclibc format. (e.g.
> > GMT+0IST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00) . I saw couple of posting
> > on net which suggest getTimezoneoffset or may be calculation with
> > dates from script  gives correct  offset including day light saving
> > time but i am not sure how correct this is. Again even if its
> > correct , its not telling me when (exact date and time )day light
> > saving adjustment starts and ends which is last part of /etc/TZ
> > string, Is there  a way to get this from java script.
>
> This is not an appropriate question for this newsgroup. You should be
> posting this in a javascript newsgroup or mailing list. We don't discuss
> javascript and timezones are irrelevant here.
>
> Danny

Well agreed to some extent. But i was not getting good responses in
other groups and its involves time related discussion so i thought it
might be ok. Also its not just about javascript as it may sound on
surface but its mostly about timezone stuff though i would be doing
this from javascript. But again i agree with you this might not be
exactly the group for my question. As people have showed interest i
would like to carry this thread forward.