[ntp:questions] drift modeling question

shy author shy.author.not at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 17:20:34 UTC 2008

Has anyone thought about removing both the linear terms and quadratic
terms in the drift, by utilizing the temperature sensor readings
available on many of the latest motherboards?

Crystal oscillators tend to have both a linear bias and a quadratic bias,
determinate upon temperature, leaving a stochastic component, which I
believe we're trying to compensate for all along by the operation of ntp.

Integration of the temperature readings and knowledge of the current
drift should suggest the appropriate coefficients for the corrections.

Just a thought, but it seems a shame that we're not taking advantage of
the thermal data available to us, when correcting for clock drift and
simply using a linear correction.