[ntp:questions] drift modeling question

shy author shy.author.not at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 22:41:39 UTC 2008

> A Quadratic correction tends to run away pretty badly if you suddenly
> have a period of no ntp readings. But I am not at all sure that is what
> you mean. Rather you seem to mean that one use the temp to estimate what
> the linear drift is ( from the past readings of temp and drift.)

Correct, in that the linear correction will vary with temperature (and
could be matched closely by a quadratic)

I am thinking of a least-squares fit to the drift data, versus
temperature.  Another poster mentioned that we really need temperature of
the crystal, I agree, but there should be strong correlation between that
(unknown) temperature and the motherboard or processor chip temperatures.