[ntp:questions] ntpdate with auth

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jul 14 11:40:20 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-14, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> ntpq -p will show the offset between your ntpd and a remote time
>> server.
>
> Yes, I know that, but I can't have that time servers whose time
> difference I'm checking on my servers list in ntp.conf(i don't want
> ntpd to start synchronize to them).

You can include reference time sources in your ntp.conf

The syntax is:

server your.reference.server noselect

> So finally I need to have some sources in ntp.conf

You will need to select some time sources whether you're using ntpd or
ntpdate.

> and I need to know the difference of time of few servers that I can't
> synchronize to.

???

> That's the problem I tried to solve using ntpdate. And it works
> perfect unless I need to use iff with RSA

What's the real issue here?

Are you trying to manually check the offset of a free running system?

Are you trying to manually check the offset of a system disciplined by
ntpd?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>