[ntp:questions] ntpdate with auth

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Jul 23 12:10:14 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> You can include reference time sources in your ntp.conf
>>
>> The syntax is:
>>
>> server your.reference.server noselect
>>

> Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.
> Now I have another question. I would like to change the poll interval
> for those 'noselect' hosts so I figured out that I'll use ntpdc. Then I
> realized that the 'addserver' option doesn't support 'noselect'. I tried
> to add that flag so I did something like that in ntpdc_ops.c:

You're trying to do things the hard way.

Read the documentation about "maxpoll" (hint: go to http://doc.ntp.org
and search for maxpoll) to learn about an existing solution.

You may safely use maxpoll to control the maximum poll interval for a
remote time server under the following conditions:

1. You, or your company/organization, controls the remote time server

2. You have (written) permission from the server operator to poll more
frequently than the ntpd default

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>