[ntp:questions] ntpdate with auth

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Jul 23 15:44:00 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:
>>
>> You're trying to do things the hard way.
>>
>> Read the documentation about "maxpoll" (hint: go to
>> http://doc.ntp.org and search for maxpoll) to learn about an existing
>> solution.
>
> I understand the problem of maxpolling that you are talking about but
> in my situation I need that for a certain servers that I know I can
> poll more often sometimes.

You have permission then? Fine.

> That's why I thought I would use ntpdc to change that.

You're complicating matters by using ntpdc.

Just edit the server lines in ntpd.conf and restart ntpd. If you're
using iburst on the other server lines ntpd will be ready to answer
polls about 15 seconds after a warm restart.

maxpoll 4 == 16 seconds
maxpoll 5 == 32 seconds
maxpoll 6 == 64 seconds

and so on