[ntp:questions] ntpdate with auth

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 23 19:30:54 UTC 2008

lin_g at o2.pl (Grzegorz Daniluk) writes:

>Steve Kostecke pisze:
>> On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:
>> You're complicating matters by using ntpdc.
>>
>> Just edit the server lines in ntpd.conf and restart ntpd. If you're
>> using iburst on the other server lines ntpd will be ready to answer
>> polls about 15 seconds after a warm restart.
>>
>> maxpoll 4 == 16 seconds
>> maxpoll 5 == 32 seconds
>> maxpoll 6 == 64 seconds
>>
>> and so on
>>

>Helo,
>I know that I can do it by editing ntp.conf and restarting ntpd, I also
>know what the numbers next to 'maxpoll' mean :) but thank you of course
>for advice. My problem is that I don't want to restart ntpd because I
>need that deamon to be a time server too (it has few time sources
>without 'noselect' option). That's why I'm trying to use ntpdc and its
>'addserver' option. My problem is that when I'm using it I can't add
>server with 'noselect' option which I need very much. Or maybe there is
>another way to change maxpoll with ntpdc instead of using 'addserver'.

This is a critical server and you want to be putzing around with it while
it is acting as a server? Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

Note as stated it takes only a few seconds to stop and restart ntp. None of
your clients are even going to notice. If one happens to send a query just
while ntp is down, it will try again.

Since the remote machine does not mind, just run the noselect
constantly.